• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Columns

Hairy and Happy

Body hair doesn't make you abnormal, it makes you human

photo via WIkipedia under the Creative Commons License

In the summer before sixth grade, I went to Catalina Island with one of my mom, sister, and a close friend. I remember enjoying myself, except for one thing that slightly jaded that excitement for me: my hairy legs. I had never truly taken notice of them, I just didn’t really care. I was eleven years old, I didn’t have anyone to impress… Or so I thought.

One of those days on that trip, my close friend noticed my legs, and shed an unflattering light upon my body. With ten words, she shattered by confidence, “Your legs are so hairy, you have to shave them.” The day I got back from my trip, I shaved my legs, and have continued to do so ever since.

Five years later, in the summer before junior year, I had a similar experience; this time, it was with my upper lip hair. I’d always known it was slightly darker than most people’s peach fuzz, but it never bothered me because I felt like it still wasn’t that noticeable.

Then, when I was at a barbeque, a friend of mine walked over to me and said, “Hey, Scarlet, you have a little whisker there,” and proceeded to try to pull out one of my hairs that was a bit longer than the rest. I yanked myself away, and couldn’t help but try to cover my upper lip for the rest of the day.

In the following weeks, I begged and begged until my dad finally agreed to take me to a threading salon to remove that dreadful facial hair I had become so acutely aware of. Finally, I thought, I’ll be hairless and beautiful.

Looking back, I realize how foolish I was to think that a hairless body somehow equates to beauty. However, it took me several more trips to the threading salon, and many more razor burns to see the truth.

I’ve started educating myself on upper lip hair, and as alone as I thought I was, I now know I’m not — it’s normal to have some hair on your face, and no, just because you have a few stray hairs on your chin does not mean you’ll become the bearded lady in a circus. Even if you did, that’s not even a bad thing, more power to you.

Hair on female bodies and faces is something that needs to be talked about more. It doesn’t make you ugly or unhygienic or abnormal, it makes you human.