Filed under Music, Showcase

Social Distortion at Fox Theatre Pomona

Social Distortion performs at Fox Theatre Pomona on Friday, April 7th, 2017

Social Distortion composed of Mike Ness, Jonny Wickersham, Brent Harding, David Hidalgo Jr., and David Kalish.

Social Distortion is a folk punk band formed by Mike “Sick Boy” Ness in Fullerton, California in 1978. The band along with the Adolescents and Agent Orange shaped the punk scene in Orange County during the late 1970s into the mid 1990s, while influencing bands in the paralleling Los Angeles scene. The influence of Social Distortion has continued into contemporary punk music apparent by musicians Brian Fallon and Dave Hause.

The 2017 Spring Tour occurred during recording of their eighth studio album or tenth album including a live record and a collection of greatest hits. The opener Jade Jackson has undergone music direction from Mike Ness since 2014 and went into the studio with Ness as a producer for her album “Gilded” being released on May 19th. During the set, Jackson told a touching story about how her first concert was Social Distortion. Approximately ten years later, she is working under Mike Ness in the studio and as an opener for Social Distortion; showcasing how this band influenced her development as a musician and her country blues style.

Social Distortion then graced a staged filled with props from Ness’ vintage collection that created a 1930s through 1950s rock n roll vibe. In which they played approximately fifteen songs ranging from their classics such as “Ball and Chain” and “I Was Wrong” to songs written by guitarist Jonny “Two Bags” Wickersham and covers by bands including the Rolling Stones. A large majority of their songs were played in a slower rendition and included commentary by Ness regarding on how his songs have gained a political connotation due to the controversies in modern politics.

The band truly continues show audiences genuine Orange County punk rock by capturing the energy and melody of their classic songs.