Filed under Focus

Torok and Buster Travel to Assist the Needy

Oliva Torok and Isabel Buster traveled to third world countries to volunteer

Junior Olivia Torok and senior Isabel Buster are just two prime examples of El Modena’s youth that have gone out of the country to help those less fortunate than themselves. 

In the summer of 2016, Torok left California to help kids in Albania for two weeks.

Frontline: Where did you go and what did you do?

Olivia Torok: Over the summer, I went to Albania and we partnered with a church there and we taught the kids American slang. We would have get togethers with the kids and bond with them. This was about two weeks.

Isabel Buster: I went to gypsy villages in Mucachavo and Natego, Ukraine. Our main goal there was to spend time with gypsies, to get to know more about their life, culture, and work with their children, church and orphanage. We helped clean their homes (which are made out of clay and straw) and taught them dances and songs. They only shower during summers so we were able to give them the opportunity to wash their hair. We are also looking into the possibility of establishing an anti-sex trafficking ministry in Western Ukraine. Also, in Kiev, Ukraine we went around to the schools and orphanages and talked to them about what life is like in America and played with them.

FL: Personally, how were those experiences for you?

OT: When I got there, I wasn’t really expecting anything, I just wanted to jump into it. When we got there, everybody was very nice. All of the little kids ran up to us asking, “What’s America like?” They told us words in Albanian, and we would tell them some words in English.

IB:It was a very eye opening experience. I’ve learned a lot about how to be content with what I have. It’s gives me more of an outlook on how selfish we are in the world today. These kids and their families were kicked out of the main city and pushed to the side of the country just because they looked and acted different than the wealthy.