• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Attending College as a Highschool Student

Luisa Lopez

More stories from Luisa Lopez

A look at my own experience of attending college as a CAP student

While in high school, i always dreamt of what college was like. I always found myself asking co-workers questions such as: “do you miss high school?” “Is college better?” “What the difference between the two?” I was so curious about what an actual college was like I couldn’t wait until after I graduated to attend.

I took a college course, counseling 101, at El Mo, in the fall of my senior year. My counselor recommended it to me because I kept stressing out over the fact that I had no idea what I wanted to do after high school. The class was super fun and easy! I met people on campus that I had never met before and learned a lot about them as well as myself. My counselor, Mrs. Calvillo was the teacher and she was pretty lenient, which I imagined real college professors weren’t. The class was super helpful. It helped me explores interests that I thought I liked and then turned out I didn’t. The class also allowed me to take my math and English placement tests learning so I could get started on my college career earlier. Most of all, I learned a lot about college and the different path ways I could take, some things that I never learned in a regular high school classroom.

After taking counseling 101, I was really excited about college. I had a better idea of what path I wanted to take. I learned that I didn’t place so well on my math test, placing two below where you’re suppose to be. As for English, I did really well, placing right where I was suppose to be at. I decided that I wanted to take another class in the Spring semester. I thought taking math was a good idea, since I was already behind. I talked to my counselor and she supported my decisions. I also found out that they were offering some courses here at El Modena so I took advantage.

I signed up for Math N60, (elementary math) at SCC and introduction into Sociology at El Modena. I was super excited to be a highschool student attending college classes. I was nervous at first for my math class because it was at a real college campus with other college students. After actually attending the class, it was a lot different from a regular high school math class. There were no “ice breakers,” on the first day, or a day dedicated to learning everyone’s names and an interesting fact about each other. The professor handed out the syllabus and taught two lessons on the first night of instruction.

As for my sociology class, I loved it on the first day! My professor brought us cookies and I felt like I had already learned so much. It’s interesting because almost everyone in this class wants to learn about the subject and is interested to learn. I think that’s another difference from high school and college, people tend to take classes that they’re interested in, instead of taking art because you have to. I think that’s pretty cool. By the time I go to community college in the Fall, I’ll have about 10 or 12 units done, and 12 units is one full semester/ full time student. I’ll be ahead of the game and that feels great!

After seven weeks of instruction, I feel like I learn so much on Monday and Wednesdays, when I have these classes. I wish I had learned about the CAP program before. There’s a girl in my sociology class who’s a sophomore and her plan is to get her associate’s degree at the same time as she graduates high school. So when she’s applying to Universities her senior year, she’ll go in as a junior. Which I think is insane, but totally possible if you have the resources. She’s saving a huge amount of money by doing this, and I really wish I could’ve done this if I would have been aware. I really encourage all students to look into the CAP program and take advantage of the college courses at El Modena, because CAP students don’t have to pay another for these classes. College students have to pay about 40$ per unit, but if you’re a CAP student all you have to pay is the health fee. Which is probably 19$. There are so many benefits for doing this, this is one of the few.