• September 19Major Earthquake in Mexico

• August 28Japan Raises Alarm After North Korea Missile Launch

• August 28Thousands Stranded in Houston With Waters Still Rising; Death Toll Rises to 10

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Media&Arts, Showcase

Once Upon a Mattress

El Modena performing Arts Departments performed Thursday evening

Brooklyn(the princess) and Donavyn(the prince) studying for the test

Abby Sheppard

Abby Sheppard

Proudly mentioned before, this year marks El Modenas 50th anniversary. Mrs. Gillen introduced the audience to this performance by calling it a “legacy season” as herself and family members have participated in this same act.

The musical started with dramatic piano playing, and an introduction of the main plot done by minstrel, Keomalu Wilson. This musical is performed as a fairy tale, eventually the Prince (Donavyn Suffel) going through various trials, against his mother’s wishes to find his Princess (Brooklyn Peters) and the pea.

Act one consisted of the ladies, in particular (Cooper Crosby) going through a test given by the wizard (Luke Wisley) to find the prince his princess. He asks her who are the three kings as well as three other randomly selected questions. Amanda Remy played the prince’s mom, Queen Aggravain. She attempted to keep her son, the prince single as she had control over the kingdom due to her husband king sextimus (Justin Mayfield) unable to talk. Disturbed, and now pregnant Lady Larken (Kaitlyn Neely) and Sir Harry (Cade Scanlon) take matter into their own hands and search for a princess for Prince Dauntless the Drab. After their adventures they find Princess Winnifred the Woebegone in a pond. They are surprised by her swimming strength and decide she would be a match for the prince. The princess then goes on to explain how she is shy, through her not so shy powerful singing and acting. She strongly sings and acts out her love for her home and who she is in the song “Normandy”.  Queen Aggravain tries to repeal the pairs love and find unreasonable explanations for why they shall not marry.

Ultimately, Sir Harry and Lady Larken continue their love story, and the price and the princess start their own. The queen, as a test wanted to see if the princess was capable of staying up all night, because she placed the pea under the 20 mattresses requested. If the princess was too sensitive, then the pea under the mattress would have made her fall asleep. The queen thinks she has the princess tricked into falling asleep, leaving her son unmarried. However, the princess counts her sheep during her restless nights “sleep”. At the gathering the next day, the now princess stumbles in shouting out the number of sheep she counted to. She never fell asleep, allowing the prince and the princess to marry. In the very end the King is able to talk again, and now has full control over his queen.

To end the musical, the cast all took the stage for a bow. Congratulations to the Performing Arts Departments as they had the audience laughing, clapping and involved through the entire play. Compliments to the technical booth for their outstanding work of sound quality and lighting.