Filed under Showcase

National Girl Scout Day

The history behind National Girl Scout Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

National Girl Scout Day

Girl Scouts Patches

Girl Scouts Patches

Photo via Wikimedia under the creative common license

Girl Scouts Patches

Girl Scouts Patches

As part of Girl Scout Week, National Girl Scout Day is observed annually on March 12th. Girl Scouts across the world celebrate this day by reconnecting with the Girl Scout Promise and Law to help build girls courage, confidence, and character to make the world a better place.

It all started in in the Progressive Era and as the nation began to expand–but before women had the right to vote–Juliette Gordon Low founded Girl Scouts in 1912 with an emphasis on inclusiveness, outdoors, self-reliance, and service. As Girl Scouting continued to grow it began to reach to more and more girls in which they created the first Girl Scout troops launching outside the United States in China, Syria, and Mexico. One of the earliest Native American Girl Scout troops was formed on the Onondaga Reservation in New York in 1921 followed by the Mexican American Girl Scout troop in Houston, Texas in 1922.

As the country continued to deal with the waves of immigration, Girl Scouts began printing a promotional booklet in Yiddish, Italian, and Polish called Who Are the Girl Scouts?. But during  World War II, Girl Scouts who were interested in flying participated in the Wing Scouts program along with other programs like operated bicycle courier service, defense institutes for women and Farm Aid projects.

But, Girl Scouting in the United States began on March 12, 1912 when Low organized the first Girl Scout troop meeting. At this meeting there were 18 girls present in which Low organized enrichment programs, service projects, and adventures. Ever since this first meeting, Girls Scouts have expanded to over 3.7 million members all over the world. These Girl Scouts are prepared to help, care, and service!

As a former Girl Scout, I remember doing all these fun activities and learning about Juliette Gordon Low. I loved being apart of the Girl Scout community and earning patches for the community service that I did!