• February 6EMTV Episode 3 rocks El Modena, watch below

• February 66.4 earthquake kills 2 in Taiwan, 200 missing

• February 5Dow Jones drops 1,000 points

Filed under Audio, Focus, Showcase

The Epidemic of Hollywood Remakes

Hollywood has entered a time of simply remaking old content with little imagination or passion.

Hollywood remakes have become the staple of the entertainment world, and have seemed to replace original films as the mainstream for movie-goers.

In the earlier decades of the 70’s and 80’s, and well into the 2000’s, Hollywood allowed original, artful content to populate their main sources of entertainment. The 70’s had filmmakers like Steven Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola, as well as many others come into the forefront and boast impressive debut features. Spielberg made Jaws, Coppola make the Godfather, Ridley Scott made Alien, Stallone made Rocky, and many other impressive filmmakers emerged. The 80’s saw the action star emerge, with Arnold, Ford, Willis, and Stallone dominating the box offices. The 90’s turned to independent filmmakers like Quentin Tarantino, who managed to make two of the greatest films from the 90’s (Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction). Martin Scorsese emerged as a gangster epic filmmaker, and Mel Gibson’s directorial debut in Braveheart won him an Oscar.

Entering the 2000’s, content began to slip. It was still very solid, with Peter Jackson’s Lord of the Rings Trilogy and the Coen Brothers creating masterworks of film making. Even so, this is the time period in which remakes and reboots began to come into the forefront. Hollywood chose to rehash the content of the 80’s and 90’s, creating a period of time which we are still inhabiting, a time in which the remake seems more common than the original feature.

Of course, solid remakes have existed throughout time. Scarface was a remake, as well as The Departed and Ocean’s 11. But for the most part, Hollywood remakes have landed on the weaker side of the coin. Remakes of Red Dawn, Psycho, Total Recall, Clash of the Titans, Karate Kid, and Planet of the Apes are just a handful of awful remakes made by studios too scared to take a chance on a new product or filmmaker. If they had this mentality during the 20th Century, we may have never seen the greatness that emerged from the greatest filmmakers of our time.