• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Parayao Deciphers Personalities

Kylan Parayao investigates the ratio of introverts to extroverts in El Modena to gain a better understanding of his peers

An exaggeration of how personalities develop (Photo via Flickr.com under the Creative Commons License).

Roaming the halls of El Modena with a striped scarf and signature fedora, junior Kylan Parayao finds interest in discovering the personalities of his fellow students. Specifically the difference between introverts and extroverts, in which this hobby was sparked by his life as an introvert and his observant nature.

FL: Do you find yourself to be more introverted and extroverted?

Kylan Parayao: Online-Tested INTP through the official Myers Briggs site, but not tested with an official psychiatrist. And even if I did not know about Myers Briggs, I still consider myself to be an introvert considering my lonely, but happy, childhood while I was still in elementary school.

FL: How did you become fascinated with deciphering the differences in personalities and behaviors between introverts and extroverts?

KP: I suppose that it started in middle school, back when I was still in Santiago Charter Middle School. It was around a time that I wasn’t so sure about what I was doing in my life, but then again I suppose that nobody really knows what they are doing around that time of their life. Let’s see, around that time, I had lost my two only friends from elementary school, and the most of the guys that I knew from elementary school were these athletic, idiotic types of guys. I do apologize if you are offended by the way how I characterized them, but that is just the way that I feel about them. But anyways, I was all alone in middle school and I wasn’t comfortable reaching out to new people because a part of me still held onto that bias against other people, especially the male demographic, because I thought that they were all idiots. You think that idiot is a strong word, a harsh word, but I call them idiots because they refuse to think about their future and the future of people around them. But all of that is in the past now I suppose. Anyways, during middle school, I developed this habit of noticing the behavioral patterns of other people. I wasn’t any good at it, mind you, and I believed I may have misjudged a person every once in awhile, but it was during my time in middle school that began my fascination with the personality types of temperaments.

Now, it wasn’t until much recently that I began to apply my fascination with introversion and extroversion on a broader scale. Just a few weeks ago, sometime around Winter Break, I read a book titled ‘Quiet – The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking’ by Susan Cain. It was published in 2011, if anyone is wondering. Now, Cain widened my knowledge about extroversion and introversion by explaining the pros and cons of each personality temperament. In her book, she listed many different scenarios where extroverts and introverts were compared for manual and/or mental performance. Her results were completely astounding, as it showed that both social temperaments would perform well as one another if they worked in the right type of environment. For example, extroverts tend to do better if they were working in a team with others – since their very temperaments depended on the social energies of other people – while introverts outperformed extroverts if they were able to work in isolation and silence without many distractions.

FL: Do you believe the students of El Modena to be more introverted or extroverted? And what is you claim supported by?

KP: I have asked people around the junior year to identify with either extroversion, introversion, or ambiversion (a mix between the two traits).What I have found, out of a random group of fifty juniors, is that people identified with extroversion more than introversion. But unfortunately, I cannot say for the whole of El Modena about whether or not this school – both staff and student alike – is either extrovert dominant or introvert dominant.

FL: Do you believe that individuals can be either fully introverted or extroverted?

KP: No. It’s pretty much impossible. You must be insane if you think you can live life 100% extroverted or 100% introverted. Practically, on the extroverted side, you wouldn’t want people in your house 24/7 because you need some time to be by yourself. You also want to have a private life free from the burdens and demands of other people, and maybe you will be able to find something about your private life that you could share with other people. Without some time alone as an extroverted, it would not be possible for you to do anything new and share your experiences with other people. On the introverted side, you wouldn’t benefit from too much isolation because that will create a chain of mental and physical problems. A study tested the mentality of human beings while they were placed in isolation. In this study, they tested the subjects with series of math questions, left them alone for [blank amount of time], came back, and recorded the results, and came back. As time progressed, the results recorded that many individuals, regardless of temperamental type, progressed worse with each session because they suffered from mental deterioration due to being left alone for a long amount of time.