Black Knights Versus the Goats, an Annual Tradition

Army Squared off against Navy this year in the historic rivalry

The annual Army vs. Navy college football game took place last Saturday. It was the 117th installment of the classic rivalry game.

Going into the 10th, Navy lead the series 60-49-7, and the midshipmen had won every game since 2001.

Before we get into the game itself, it might be useful to look at the history of the series that started in 1890.

The first game was won 24-0 by Navy against the newly established Army. For that game, the over 270 members of the corps each contributed 52 cents to pay half the Navy traveling costs.

Since that first game, there have been only ten years with out it, one break coming after an Army General and a Navy Admiral had an argument that almost resulted in a duel, seriously.

The 1926 game was played in Chicago to dedicate soldier field. On two occasions Army And Navy were ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, both matchups being won by Army.

Believe it or not, the very first time that instant replay was ever used was in the 1963 game. That wasn’t the only T.V. milestone however, as the game was referenced in an episode of M*A*S*H.

Now, the annual game is held usually in Baltimore or Pennsylvania. However, legendary fields such as the Rose Bowl and the Polo Grounds have been the site.

Finally, at the end of every game, both student sections sing the alma mater of both schools as a sign of respect.

The game this year was pretty back and forth, and as usual, fairly unexciting in the fact that both team’s refuse to throw the ball. The entire game there was a whopping 14 pass attempts, 8 were completed for 124 yards and three were intercepted.

With 4:29 left in the first quarter, Army Finally powered one into the end zone, and got another one with around 7 minutes left in the half. Navy’s offense, one of the top in the nation, was silenced by the black knights in the first half.

But, trailing by 14 going into the third, Navy would score a quick touchdown to start the third, and a field goal towards the end. Going into the fourth Army was still up, but only 14-10.

Navy would start the 4th just like the 3rd, after a 41 yard touchdown run, Navy would take control 17-14. Army had blown a 14 point lead, and it looked as though they were going to lose, again.

But, with 6:05 left in the game, Army would run for another touchdown from 9 yards out to put the Midshipmen in a 21-17 hole.

This proved to be enough as the Black Knights would win the game, and snap a 14 game losing stream. The Army cadets would storm the field after, and as tradition, the winning cadets are free of duties for the night.