• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

The Man Behind the Hijinxs

Senior Omar Mateo explains how the skate community and social media influenced his new brand

Frontline: You recently started the brand Hijinx Cotton, how did the brand arise?

Omar Mateo: Ever since the 9th grade I had wanted to start a clothing line. I’ve always had the idea and drive for it, but never the money nor confidence until a few months ago when I saved up some cash and met a lot of new people who gave me the extra motivation I needed.

FL: How has Hijinx Cotton gained its social media following?

OM: I took advantage of my social media “fame” to allow myself to be able to connect with people from all around the world and I am thankful to all the wonderful people out there that I am able to put my ideas out too.

FL: Your social media accounts are filled with your photography, how did you get into photography?

OM: I’ve always been into photography and film, but never could I afford a camera until I established my clothing line. With some of the money I made I bought myself the camera I’ve always wanted, a vintage film video camera the Sony Vx2000.

FL: What camera do you photograph with, and do you prefer film or digital photography?

OM: I prefer film over digital, but it all matters on what I’m shooting. Though the reason I prefer film is because with film you get that raw, vintage, authentic look in your photos or videos. A look that you cannot create with a filter. For me looking at film footage really takes me back and gives things a nostalgic feel and I want others to feel that same way when they look at my work. I want them to feel they’ve experienced that moment as if they were there.

FL: How does the skateboarding culture influence you and your brand?

OM: The skate community is truly a great one because everyone has their own dreams and ambitions so we all support each other in what we do, and skating in general is just something that will stick with me for the rest of my life. The whole skate culture is amazing because you’re not just skating, you’re riding around town with your closest homies, exploring new areas, and meeting all kinds of people. I literally experience something new every time I go out with my friends to film or just skate around, and I appreciate that so much.

If interested in Hijinx Cotton, you can visit their website http://hijinxcotton.bigcartel.com/.