Measure S Passed

An overview of the future of El Modena following the passing of Measure S

Back to Article
Back to Article

Measure S Passed

One of the signs used to show support of Measure S

After a very well-fought campaign filled with lawn signs, precinct walks, and phone banking, on Wednesday, November 9th, 2016, it was made official that Measure S was passed with a whopping 60.8% of voters in favor of it.

Measure S is a bond measure allowing all of the Orange Unified School District High Schools to each receive 77 million dollars taken from a pool of funds created by a new property tax of approximately $29 for every $100,000 in appraised property value.
Additionally, the passing of California’s Proposition 51 allows the district to receive an additional 60 million in matching funds from the state. This money will be used to update facilities and construct new buildings.

Every school will require a project list detailing how the funds will be used. Measure S also requires schools to set aside funds for consistent maintenance projects in order to protect a taxpayer from having to invest multiple times.

El Modena’s first project on its list is the construction of a new science building similar to that of Foothill High School in Tustin. El Modena’s science department has stressed their need for new facilities for many years due to the poor electrical systems and aged equipment.

Following the construction of the new science building would be updates to all of the facilities on the El Modena campus to be in compliance with new fire and earthquake safety standards as well as the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).

Our school will receive ground-up improvements to plumbing and electrical systems plus improvements to school security systems. One can expect to see a lot of construction workers in the near future as renovations are set to begin reasonably soon for all four of the high schools in OUSD.

Most students will be in college by the time the projects are completed, so they might think that the entirety of Measure S is not something to write home about. But to those students, think of the effects this decision will have on the future generations of students that will walk through the halls of El Modena and wonder what their school used to be like.

Current students do not have that privilege of wonder for with the funds from Measure S our school will receive its first updates in fifty years.

Thank you to all of our local Orange County voters for voting Yes on Measure S and thank you to all of the wonderful members of our community who spent their own time in order to spread the word and help get this bond measure passed.