Filed under Uncategorized

Mock Trial: Moving onto Greater Things

El Mo's Mock Trial Team finishes up JSerra practice rounds, moving onto final rounds

October 29th and November 5th marked the two dates El Mo’s Mock Trial Team had for practice rounds, both held at JSerra Catholic High School. This year’s trial, a case called People v. Awbrey, testified human trafficking and false imprisonment, as well as a pretrial motion on the fourth and fifth amendments. Though it is too late to join the team (try again next year!), many have thought against joining due to the hard work involved. So what went on during El Mo’s practice rounds?

The team, led by senior captains Saba Ghassemi and Nawal Seedat, divided into two sides (prosecution and defense) and two roles, attorneys and witnesses, requiring four witnesses and at least three attorneys. The prosecution team consisted of attorneys Nawal Seedat (12), Aubrey Adams (10), Olivia Rizzuto (10), Wyatt Terlaak (10), and Anna Galera (9), and witnesses Cassidy Contreras (12), Karen Sariana (12), Martin Zepeda (11), and Abril Pacheco (10). The other side pulled through with attorneys Saba Ghassemi (12), Amanda Remy (12), Aline Alcazar (11), Mohamed Mohamed (11), and Ehlana Ghassemi (9), with witnesses Arman Ghafari (12), Jennifer Baron (11), Mia Arce (10), and Victoria Tran (10).

Last week, against Rosary High, was terrifically won by the defense team, with MVP Mohamed, and this week’s score have yet to be won. Each two hour long trial included pretrial, testimonies of witnesses, closing arguments and, of course, many objections.

The calendar follows two days a week, Tuesday and Thursday nights at the Santa Ana Court House, from 6-10 PM. Please inquire a captain if you would like to watch.