Leonardo DiCaprio and Climate Change

The Academy Award winner recently premiered his new documentary about our planet.

On October 30th, Leonardo DiCaprio premiered his documentary, “Before the Flood”.

The documentary follows DiCaprio’s three year trek around the world visiting places where climate change has affected. In the beginning and throughout the film DiCaprio refers to the painting The Garden of Earthly Delights by Hieronymus Bosch, the painting serves as a metaphor of how the planet is now and what it may eventually become. He travels all over the world while stopping to interview environmentally influential people some being Elon Musk, John Kerry, and Pope Francis. Amongst answering all the ignorant misconceptions about climate change, this film has a way to inspire the audience to take action to fight against climate change.

During his journey DiCaprio simultaneously filmed the award winning film “The Revenant”, the movie for which he won his first Academy Award. When DiCaprio won the award for Best Actor he famously spoke out about climate change saying among other things the powerful line “Let us not take our planet for granted.” Seeing someone with such great fame actually say what they mean and mean what they say is respectable. DiCaprio could easily just sit back and donate millions to causes without the interaction instead, he traveled and made a documentary about these places. His actions are extremely admirable to someone who’s next generation will inherit the planet.

As a young girl I’ve always been environmentally conscientious, it’s just always been the way I am. And as I’ve grown up the environment lover in me had slowly lost their spark, but after watching (and crying over) this documentary I’ve completely refound the environmentalist in me. Right after I finished watching the film I signed myself up for all the updates I could regarding how to get involved. If you haven’t seen the film yet it’s available on YouTube and Itunes for free, please educate yourself about this important topic. The time to stop climate change is now.