• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Focus, Showcase

Do you believe in Memes?

Is no religion the new religion? Millennials more often search for memes than they do Jesus Christ.

John Cena Meme via Internet

John Cena Meme via Internet

John Cena Meme via Internet

In January 2009, the first meme was founded, a video called “David After Dentist.” David’s father, anonymous, recorded his son after he had a dental procedure for an additional teeth in his mouth (hyperdontia). Though the short video came out in 2008, it was posted in 2009, and has now racked up 133M views.

But what is a meme? A meme, by dictionary definition is “an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by non-genetic means, especially imitation.” However, in today’s society, a meme is “a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.” Most modern millennials generate and share their homemade memes to their friends, calling them “relatable!” Memes typically follow an image with black-outlined white text, that being a universal situation many people experience.

Memes are seven-going-on-eight-years-old. We have evolved from basic picture/text memes to trash-posting, which is posting a terrible photo that somehow evokes laughter and usually tears. Some say that memes are a defense mechanism, and we use humor to cover our past traumas to avoid having to deal with them.

But on April 16, 2016, the world’s MemeTeam made a historical breakthrough: The word meme was searched in Google more often than Jesus was. The King of Judeans was dethroned by millennial teenagers looking for terrible humor to cover up their past traumas and possibly clinical depression. However, Jesus makes his peak appearances on Google during Easter and Christmas. Those two holidays typically mean family events, and family events sometimes mean more memes, which proves that we probably need more Jesus and less memes.

1 Comment

One Response to “Do you believe in Memes?”

1. Lyndzie on October 28th, 2016 4:17 pm

good job bb

[Reply]

*

• Do you believe in Memes?

“I Am Jane Doe”

• Do you believe in Memes?

Young Forever

• Do you believe in Memes?

Albert Pujols Joins the 600 Home Run Club

• Do you believe in Memes?

Make A Difference

• Do you believe in Memes?

Finding Your Groove

• Do you believe in Memes?

The Ugly Side of Baseball?

• Do you believe in Memes?

From the Cafeteria to Carnegie Hall

• Do you believe in Memes?

All You Need is a Door

• Do you believe in Memes?

I Got By With a Little Help From My Friends

• Do you believe in Memes?

P.A.L. Alliance: The First of Many

Do you believe in Memes?