Replacing the Hallways for Runways

El Modena students look towards the runways of NYFW for fall and spring fashion inspiration.

OSKLEN Spring/Summer 2015 Collection at NYFW

The fashion industry unites in New York City from September 8th to the 15th, to release designer’s Spring/Summer 2017 collections. Fashion prodigies and industry elites alike crowd into runway shows and scour social media to see the visual masterpieces that will shape their wardrobe for the upcoming season.

Fashion Week has greatly evolved since the Spring/Summer collections of 2016, in which social media platforms such as Snapchat are developing ways to connect celebrities with their fans, creating a personal relationship on typically unsocial social media. Therefore, fans may view an A-lister’s Snapchat story and feel immersed in the madness of Fashion Week, while staying behind the comfort of their phone screen. Fans then take the trends of florals for fall and nudes for spring as seen on social media, and incorporate them into their everyday wardrobe.

The evolution continues as the fashion industry inspires and embraces pop culture icons to formulate their own collections. For the past two years, Kayne West has produced four Yeezy Season collections with Adidas, which includes consistently sold out shoes and controversial clothing. With the celebrities becoming the designers, supermodels are replacing celebrities on the covers of major publications. This revival of the 80’s supermodel era has been sparked by individuals such as Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid and Cara Delevingne who have earned fame from their contemporary beauty and long legs on the runway.

El Modena students are being exposed to fashion through social media which appears to be influencing a greater interest in fashion. While talking to sophomore Samantha Cardenas, she reports how compelling the Yeezy and Tom Ford collections are, and as a result she can, “strive for the neutral toned outfits, similar to the Yeezy season,” to wear on a day-to-day basis while still being fashion forward. Therefore, we can expect students similar to Cardenas to turn the hallways of El Modena into a carnival of colors and patterns that create a sense of liveliness on a regular school day.