• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

college footballs key players

To start this year lets take a look back to last years top contenders

With the start of the college football season, it’s time to begin to recognize teams for the final four playoff in January. As with last year and the year before the four top teams in the nation will play a bracket system playoff to determine the best team in the U.S.

All eyes will be on the four teams from last year, the Clemson Tigers, the Michigan State Spartans, the Oklahoma Sooners, and the reigning national champions, the Alabama Crimson Tide

Starting with the Clemson Tigers. The South Carolina based team had the best record  in the nation last year going a perfect 12-0 in the regular season. That was followed up by a 45-37 win in the ACC Championship against the UNC Tar Heels, and a dominant 37-17 win against Oklahoma in the first round of the playoff.

However, that’s as far as they could ride the perfect train, and the Tigers would lose a thriller in the national championship to Alabama 40-45. As for this year, the Clemson squad won their first game against the very capable Auburn team with the same mascot 19-13. With the dual threat QB DeShaun Watson at the helm, there’s no reason they can’t make another deep run this year.

Now on to the Michigan team that has slowly been taking over the State. After working their way to an 11-1 season that included a miracle win against their in state rivals the Michigan Wolverines the Spartans clinched a 3 seed to play Alabama in the first round.

Play would be an overstatement as the Crimson Tide would steam roll the poor team 38-0. However, in a conference where anything can happen and a capable coach in Mike Dantonio, the Spartans are definitely the most feared  team in the big ten, and quite possibly a dark horse to win it all.

Now, the Schooner Sooners. The team from Oklahoma put together quite the season last year with upset wins at Baylor and versus TCU, arguably the big 12s most potent offenses on the way to a near perfect 11-1.

The success would be short lived as they would fall to Clemson in the first round 17-37. Things don’t look good for  the ball club as they got completely upset by the Houston Cougars 23-33 in their first game this year but don’t be fooled, as one of the most prolific teams in history, the Sooners can always find a way to win.

And finally, the Crimson Tide of Alabama. After dropping a week 3 game to the Ole Miss Running Rebels, the Tide found their muse as they won 9 straight games afterwards,  and gained a number 2 seed against Michigan State.

The Tuscaloosa based college would prove their worth after handling Michigan State 38-0, and then bringing down the undefeated Clemson team 40-45 in the Final. And After cruising to a 52-6 win against a clearly overmatched U.S.C.team, for the time being it appears as though the Tide will have another playoff run in front of them.

Nothing is certain however, every year is full of surprises, and with over 100 teams competing for the title, in a system where more than 1 loss almost nullifies your season, even the best can fail.