Filed under Editor's Picks, Feature

The Holy Trinity

The inspirations for the past eighteen years of my life

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Holy Trinity

Mackenzie Watkins with friend Christa Angers

Mackenzie Watkins

Mackenzie Watkins

Mackenzie Watkins

It all started with a boy named Hercules.

Growing up, Hercules had been the first movie I ever remember watching and it just so happened to be the first spark of my creative drive. Even though I was only three-years-old, I remember a sense of happiness and pure joy seeing the beautiful colors and hearing the catchy tunes of the characters. This is when I fell in love with the art of film.

From then on, I begged my mom to buy every Disney movie we did not already own. Movies like The Little Mermaid, which to this day is my favorite movie, and Aladdin inspired me to speak up in defense of what I love most. Others including Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, and Snow White taught me that even through hardships in life, there will always be those who stand by your side to keep your chin up. The Disney princesses taught me to feel beautiful in my own skin, the sidekicks, like the mice in Cinderella, taught me loyalty and the beauty of friendships. The villains taught me that violence and jealousy only lead to the destruction of one’s self.

As I grew older, I was introduced to a wider variety of films. As a John Hughes movie buff, I fell in love with cinematic classics such as The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, National Lampoon’s Vacation, Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, Dennis the Menace, and etc.

These movies introduced me to comedy and urged me to be true to myself and my values, cherish my family, and to have some fun with life. Ferris Bueller taught me to rid myself of stress and that it is okay to take a day off every once in while. The Breakfast Club taught me that societal labels do not determine who you are as a person and no matter what anyone else says, only you decide who you are and where you belong in this world.

The stories being told through the big screen ultimately led me to uncovering the true beauty in a simply complicated and mesmerizing artform: the art of novels. I found an escape through books and the characters in which they revolve around. Like in movies, I was able to see the characters for who they truly were and feel their personalities and attitudes from just a few lines. I could feel Nick Carraway’s sense of loyalty, Abigail William’s lack of remorse, Romeo and Juliet’s damned love, and Mr. Steven’s sense of dignity.

Books brought me into a world full of hopes, dreams, fears, epiphanies, romance, and self realization. It was through the way books could make me lose myself for hours in the depths of the pages that I realized that words are a magical form of art, an art that must be shared and taken as it is to truly understand the meaning.

Going through high school, it was very difficult for me to figure out what I wanted to do with my life once all was said and done. I believed I was limited to a future in business suits and a nine to five work day. With the help of dear friends Christa Angers and Milan Eichler, I realized I was made for something better. Their friendship and support led me to see that no matter which path I take in life, it will make me a better person than I am today.

Through the uncertainty that is my future, I found a sign in the form of a teacher, a friend, and a role model, Mrs. Vicki Mull. For the past two years, Mrs. Mull has inspired me with her anecdotes and the passion she conveys when speaking of a quote. I did not know the path I wanted to take until the first day I walked into her class and she introduced me to how beautiful the world of writing can be. Mrs. Mull helped me discover who I am as a writer as well as who I am as a person. She allowed me to express myself through words and never set me to any boundaries. She introduced me to books that I could now never live without, and she treats me as if I were her own family, never ceasing to care for my well-being.

Without Mrs. Mull’s inspiration, I would have never discovered that my true calling is to write about the things that inspire me most. She opened my eyes to see a brighter future, filled with colors and sophistication rather than break rooms and cubicles.

Throughout the past eighteen years of my life, I have learned that movies serve as an escape from reality, books can thrust you into a world of knowledge and imagination, and that one person can inspire you to take the road less traveled. Movies are my home, books are my religion, and Mrs. Mull was the individual who led me to this path of realization.

I now know that I am meant to take the literature I fell in love with and let it inspire me to write the same nostalgia filled classics that affected me as a child to spark the creative urge of generations yet to come.