• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Rookie of the Year

Swinging into the daily life of El Modena’s Golf superstar Angel Zarate

Sophomore Angel Zarate, Boy’s Varsity Golf all star shares all about what makes him who he is. Zarate plays numerous sport including golf, soccer, and volleyball. Although he excels at all three of these very different sports, golf seems to take the most notice by his fellow teammates and coaches.  “You can always count on him to come in clutch.” says fellow teammate junior Isaac Montoya.  

Zarate has been actively playing golf for about four years going strong. Golf is a lot different than soccer or volleyball because you play against many individuals and it’s a very independent sport. It’s not just based on whether or not one scores the most points, it’s based on how many shots you took as an individual.  El Modena’s Boy’s Varsity Coach Charmaine Summers says “His teammates have a great act to follow including his modesty on and off the course. I am proud to be his coach and be apart of a team that shows great sportsmanship and character.”

Practicing is a very important part of every sport one plays in but is especially crucial for golf. Zarate practices almost every day. When people say “practice makes perfect” they really aren’t kidding. It can get very meticulous when you are trying to make that last putt to get par. School is also a very important part of Zarate’s everyday routine.Zarate is truly a devoted player who has a bright future ahead of him.