• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

The Heart of Education

An outline of the reasons to appreciate the most overlooked essentialities in each of our lives

Photo via Wikimedia under creative commons license.

Around the age of five or six, one enters the new world of learning associated with elementary school. They meet a man or woman who has made it their purpose to spread knowledge to every youthful, voracious mind they meet.

They’re taught the alphabet, the glories of sharing, the skill of reading, and simple math. It is there where they develop the want and need for knowledge that every child holds onto for years. This is also where this need and want is satisfied.

Teachers are people that have the largest impact on our lives, but this is something we constantly ignore. Senior Nathan Ly states “Without teachers, books aren’t fun, math is just numbers, and science [feels like] rocket science.”

Teachers pass on new information to their students with ease, and make otherwise hard to understand concepts accessible to everyone. Of course, every student has met a few teachers who they don’t feel like they’re learning from, but I challenge these students.

Each of these students may feel as though they learned nothing from a teacher or that certain curriculums are filled with pointless information that they’ll never truly use. But I say that every single lesson, book, problem, and subject even can be connected to an ideological education.

English teaches us the beauty of language and the many uses for it. Science teaches us to approach everything with a skeptical eye and assumptions to disprove.

Math teaches us to use logic and systematically dissect complex series of information. History teaches us to reflect upon our past mistakes and not to repeat them.

Even so, some students may feel that there are teachers that they aren’t really learning much from. There’s still a lot to learn from teachers completely unrelated to the general curriculum.

Imagine a world without teachers. Imagine not knowing a simple thing like 2+2=4. Imagine not having the ability to read this article.

Teachers in your past passed on the ability to read to you and I’m sure they made it interesting or maybe even fun to learn it.

There are still countries around the world that lack access to a formal education system like ours. There are countries in Africa, like Benin, where only around 42.4% of their population can read; in the United States about 86% of the population can read.

Even though there are these countries that have very low literacy rates, other countries aide these places to help spread education to young students. In 2009, the United States trained 10,000 teachers to help promote a better education in Benin.

Education is an essential part of life. We all are taught to learn from a very young age and those who see the true importance of education learn to teach. All of us should appreciate our education and those that educate us a lot more.
  To paraphrase Malala Yousafzai, “Let us remember, […] one teacher can change [your] world.” Whether they’re a formal educator or a different form of teacher, those that teach us have the greatest impact on our lives.