• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Seniors Celebrate Senior Night

Varsity softball plays their last home game of the season

From+left+to+right-%0ANaomi+Valera%2C+Mackenzie+Hoots%2C+Mckenna+Walton%2C+Bella+Santoyo%2C+Nicole+Yniguez%2C+Ashley+Rock%2C+Taylor+Collins+
From left to right-
Naomi Valera, Mackenzie Hoots, Mckenna Walton, Bella Santoyo, Nicole Yniguez, Ashley Rock, Taylor Collins

From left to right- Naomi Valera, Mackenzie Hoots, Mckenna Walton, Bella Santoyo, Nicole Yniguez, Ashley Rock, Taylor Collins

Photo Via Mckenzie Hoots

Photo Via Mckenzie Hoots

Every sport has one game a season that is dedicated to all seniors on the team. Just this afternoon, the varsity softball team celebrated their senior night, as well as their last home game of this season. They Vanguards played against Foothill high school, taking a loss 5-0; however kept their spirits high.

Catcher Mackenzie Hoots (12) made sure the team was communicating and doing their best through the whole seven innings. Loud shouts, chants and enthusiastic songs and statements continued the whole game. Each time the pitcher stepped up to pitch, Hoots was sure to bring the batter’s confidence up in telling them “they got it.”  

Both, senior McKenna Walton (first basemen and pitcher) and Nicole Yniguez (pitcher, batter) switched off pitching during the game. They kept their pitches strong and powerful making the other team work for a good hit. They both were able to keep in good communication while the rest of their team was on base or in their field position to make sure each base was covered, and the balls did not go too far out when hit. Each ball hit by the opposing team was well played by the Vanguards.

The softball team did take a 5-0 loss, but their high spirits made the last home game enjoyable. The amount of cheering and positive comments coming from the crowd and teammates themselves kept the Vanguards pushing through the total of seven innings.

Congratulations to all the seniors on the team in participating in the last home game of the season. A tough season, but with the quality of teamwork and communication, the entire team should be proud.