• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

NHS New Inductees

This year, El Modena's NHS club received many new inductees.

The El Modena National Honors Society recently inducted many new members into the prestigious club.

Students accepted into the club excel in every aspect of being a high school student. Each inductee held a high GPA, along with a challenging course load. All the students were required to have at least 20 service hours. These service hours are representative of community leadership and drive. The students engaged in outside activities to better their communities in multiple ways, including beach clean-ups, work at local Little Leagues, homeless and food shelters, and an immense amount of other activities.

This inductee class from this year was one of the largest in many years, helping to establish NHS in the minds of many students hoping to gain a spot in the club. Along with high academic excellence and community service, students also engage in multiple activities in and out of school. Other clubs and sports make up the resumes of many of the applying students. Ms. Lisner is the main advisor to the NHS club, but the student body which makes up the club are the real leaders of NHS. The students are the ones engaging in their community and finding ways to better themselves and those around them.

Some middle schoolers were able to participate in NJHS, or National Junior Honors Society. This club at the middle schools helped set a precedent for the high quality expected from students entering El Modena, and many kept the lessons from those years and applied them to their school careers today. Not every student who applied to NHS was accepted, but this keeps the prestigious nature of the club apparent. Those students who barely missed an acceptance into NHS this year are sure to put the time, work and dedication into their academic and athletic careers next year when application time comes back around.

As for the current inductees from this year, the students are expected now more than ever to hold themselves accountable to as high a standard as they can. With an acceptance into NHS, the need to apply ourselves to every aspect of our lives is as important now more than ever.

El Modena has always engaged in high academic prosperity, and these new NHS members are examples of the students who uphold this tradition. Hopefully in the years to come, these students reach above and beyond the level in which they hoped to achieve. Also, we all hope to have great future generations to uphold the tradition and prestigious nature of the NHS club and title.