• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Filed under Columns, Showcase

Discourse on the Value of Human Life and Loving Others

I believe that it is our moral duty to be taught, and to teach the value of human life. Why do we think this way? As unpopular of a statement this may be, the teaching of evolution has much to do with this. When we are told that we all came from bacteria that formed over millions of years, we equate ourselves to being no more than a piece of mush that has no purpose, intelligent primates that just got lucky. So many terrible things stem from the idea that human life is not valuable, such extremes as abortion and suicide are influenced by this. Even the simple act of remembering that people have feelings and want to be told nice things, is so often overlooked, because we as sinful mankind are so concerned with ourselves and what we want.

Everyone wants to be loved. That is a universal truth. In our deepest, most sacred thoughts and feelings, we all desire love. This love, is given and received in the form of relationships. We as humans need and want relationships. They are crucial to survival. Why then is it so hard to create these relationships? Where in our upbringing were we taught to keep our feelings to ourselves, and to do only what is considered acceptable in the structure of society? Why is it so hard to do something that I know I, and others want to do? How do you go up and talk to those people that you want to get to know? Courage. That is the answer. But where do we find this courage? Not in ourselves, but in others. Confidence is an external force. One that we reach out for, and use to our benefit. Some receive this from people, things, or societal status. I would also say that one of the biggest confidence boosters, is knowing that others feel exactly the same as I do. Relatability is what connects us. We all face the same struggles, worries, and fears.

What makes most teenagers confident? Their friends. Knowing that there are people out there that have my back does much good for the soul. We feel most comfortable when we are around people that we know care about us, and not in the superficial way, but truly care about how we feel. But what then do we draw upon if we have no friendships? At least ones that do not reciprocate true love and care for each other. Some would say vain things like appearance, or a façade that we put on, to try and separate who we truly are from what others see. What of religion? What of faith? How do we as people gain confidence and satisfaction out of something intangible? Yet it is such a real feeling, faith. If we have not faith, or hope, what are we? We cannot live a fulfilled life when we view everything with cynicism. Living a life that, the end, nothing matters, is not a life I want to live.

It is so damaging to us, when we cannot fully express our feelings and hopes and dreams with people. When there is no one to talk to about simple things like, how beautiful the sunrise is, or how pleasant the sounds of the waves crashing are, or having someone to talk to about how your day went. Keeping everything in is not easy, especially because we are not designed to be solitary creatures. I know for myself, this has been a struggle for me. Finding those people, the ones that truly care about us, isn’t always easy. The world tires to tell us that is weak of us to not be comfortable being alone, but that is the farthest thing from the truth. As I said, we were created, to be relational beings. That is how we grow, that is how we mature, and that is how we find that confidence and courage we all so desire.

I have no doubt in my mind that life has a purpose, and that everything happens for a reason. Life is too beautiful, and too wonderful for it to have no meaning. Life has value, people have value. Don’t ever forget that. Don’t be too afraid to go out and claim what is rightfully yours: Happiness, adventures, friendships, and experiencing all life has to offer. Treat others, how you want to be treated, no matter how uncomfortable, or inconvenient it is. Love.