• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Where’s Earnest?

Drama performs The Importance of being Earnest as a fall comedy

Photo via Rodrigo Corona

Photo via Rodrigo Corona

Friday December 2, Victorian music filled the Drama room as viewers entered to watch students perform “The Importance of Being Earnest.”

Mrs. Gillen, the current drama teacher, once a student at El Modena did this play in the year of 1967-1968 under the direction of her teacher Mrs. Herde. This being El Mo’s 50th anniversary, the drama department wanted to “reveal some of the plays performed at El Modena over the last 50 years.”

Many laughs and shocked faces went through the drama room as the well performed actors and actresses acted out this Victorian comedy. The drama department explained in the program that Oscar Wilde “pokes fun at the norms of Victorian society.”

The main idea of “Where is Earnest?” was displayed as the actors and actresses left the audience wondering who and where is Earnest. As a Victorian play, ultimately focusing on a love story, Mr. Algernon Moncrieff and Mr. John (Jack) Worthing and their profound love for Miss Cecily Cardew and Miss Gwendolyn Fairfax.  

With senior Tanner Agnew playing Mr. Algernon Moncrieff, the audience was captivated by his constant side humor, eating of cucumber sandwiches and muffins. As Mr. Algernon confessed his love for Miss Cecily, the viewers did get to see more of his love for her.

Mr. John Worthing played by senior Colin Swan tells Mr. Algernon that his name is not Earnest, and that he is deeply in love with Miss Fairfax. Mr. Worthing then tells Mr. Algernon that he is Miss Cecily’s ward (her guardian) and that he must approve before they get “engaged to be married.”

Senior Katie Cunningham played Gwendolyn Fairfax and senior Amanda Remy, played Lady Bracknell. Throughout the play, the pair took over the stage and showed their wide range of confidence.

Miss Prism portrayed by senior Cassidy Contreras is Cecily’s governess that ran away from a dark past, which unravels during the play.  

Kimi Englbrecht, senior,  played Miss Cecily, an innocent  young lady, also in love with Mr. Algernon.

Overall, as part of the 50th anniversary celebration of El Modena, the drama department did not disappoint the viewers. Drama kept the audience involved, and laughing as they should, in celebrating a huge accomplishment.