• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Thanks Obama

Thanking Obama for eight years of change

After eight years, we have to say goodbye to a legendary president

Photo via Wikimedia Commons under the Creative Commons License

Eight years ago, America made history by electing the first black President of the United States. President Barack Obama has had to endure much ridicule during his two-term presidency, despite all of his accomplishments.

Faced with the poor shape of the economy from the greatest recession since the Great Depression, Obama had a multitude of issues to resolve when he came into office. Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act in 2009 to stimulate economic growth. He was successful in lowering unemployment substantially and creating more than 15 million jobs. Obama also signed the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act in 2010 to fix the corruption. The auto industry also has Obama to thank for turning them in the right direction with $62 billion in federal money put into the industry, which added over 100,000 auto jobs between 2009 and 2012.

Among much more, President Obama ended the war in Iraq, began the downdraw of the war in Afghanistan, and eliminated Osama Bin Laden. He repealed the “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” military policy which prohibited gays and lesbians from serving in the military openly, and reversed the torture policies in place from the Bush-era. Obama improved the world’s view of America with new diplomacy, rhetoric, and policies. And of course, he passed the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare, which gave healthcare to millions of Americans.

As for what Obama will do next, we know very little besides he has picked a house for he and his family to live, and that a library in his home city of Chicago will be erected to hold his presidential papers (as is tradition for presidents). Other than that, it is predicted that he will have a unique post-presidency as an inspirational figure to help guide the country in terms of social and racial issues, and follow in the activist footsteps of ex-president Jimmy Carter. One initiative that he has told people he will continue is My Brother’s Keeper Alliance which is aimed to help low income black and latino boys nationwide.

After eight years with President Obama, the nation says goodbye to a highly accomplished president. We say goodbye to eight years of reforms and advancements that have helped the nation grow and improve. Thank you, President Obama.