• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

A Thrilling Start

El Modena kicked off the football season this year in rather exhilarating fashion

The first game of the year is always stressful. The anticipation of the players and the excitement of the fans for the year to come can create a rather hectic environment. Combine that with the expectations of a great season, and things can get rather dicey.
El Modena played it’s first game of the year Thursday, and needless to say, it fit the criteria. The stage was set for a game against the Woodbridge Warriors, one team kicking off their season right, the other would be put in an automatic hole.
Woodbridge received the ball first giving El Modena’s defense a chance to take the field. While not being overwhelming, the El Mo defense held Woodbridge to a punt on their first drive. Things were already looking up for the first year coach Matt Mitchell.
The first half was pretty back and forth with El Mo finding the endzone three times and even collecting on a two point conversion. Woodbridge answered with two touchdowns of their own, making the halftime score 22-14.
The teams would be deadlocked in the third quarter whilst displaying a defensive show, keeping the game at the same score entering the final twelve minutes of play.
Woodbridge came out noticeably charged in the fourth quarter, scoring eleven unanswered points in the first six minutes, capturing a 25-22 lead with 5:53 left. El Mo wouldn’t be struck down for long, scoring a touchdown on their ensuing possession taking a 29-25 lead with 2:23 left on the clock.
El modena’s very own Christian Lopez all but sealed the game with an interception on the very first play of Woodbridge’s next drive. The vanguards killed more than two minutes of the remaining time, and scored a practically useless touchdown with 20 seconds remaining in the game, to end the night at a final score of 36-25 Vanguards.
There were many positives one can take away from the game Thursday night. The second year Junior quarterback A.J. Esperanza seems to be comfortable in his role at the helm of the offense, and he seems to have a substantial supporting cast in his running backs and wide outs.
And while not being lights out, the Vanguard defense had it’s moments. The unit was able to come up with two key turnovers that were essential to the win. On top of the physical aspects, the team showed signs of mental toughness when they were able to keep their cool and rally in the back half of the fourth quarter.
While the relatively close score may raise some questions about the capability of the team, a blowout helps no one. Thursday’s contest was a learning experience for all, and a great way to start the season.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “A Thrilling Start”

1. Ashley Ramynke on September 6th, 2016 1:25 pm

Great detail! I really enjoyed the article.

[Reply]

2. frontline on September 6th, 2016 1:25 pm

Wow, Bobby, great moves, keep it up. Proud of you.

[Reply]

*

• A Thrilling Start

“I Am Jane Doe”

• A Thrilling Start

Young Forever

• A Thrilling Start

Albert Pujols Joins the 600 Home Run Club

• A Thrilling Start

Make A Difference

• A Thrilling Start

Finding Your Groove

• A Thrilling Start

The Ugly Side of Baseball?

• A Thrilling Start

From the Cafeteria to Carnegie Hall

• A Thrilling Start

All You Need is a Door

• A Thrilling Start

I Got By With a Little Help From My Friends

• A Thrilling Start

P.A.L. Alliance: The First of Many

A Thrilling Start