• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Just the Basics

The basic rules of football for the first time fan

The arrival of school every August means one thing, the return of football. However when attending El Modena football games, it seems as though some people have no clue what’s going on in the game itself, and feel lost.
Let’s start with the basic layout and principle. Football is a game played between two teams, on a 120 yard by 25 yard field, with two end zones and one yellow goal post at either end.
Each game starts with a coin flip to decide who gets the first possession and a kick off to get that team the ball. If the team with the ball gets the ball in the end zone, it is called a “touchdown” and that team is awarded 6 points. They are then given the option to either kick the ball through the goal post for an additional point, or get the ball in the end zone in one play from two yards in front of the endzone for two points.
Then the team that just scored kicks the ball off to the other team so they gain possession, and the whole thing starts over again. Whilst on offense, or in possession of the ball, the team is given four attempts to move the ball forward ten yards. If after three attempts they don’t move the ball a total of ten yards, usually the team with the ball will choose to drop kick or “punt” the ball giving the other team a worse field position, thus making it harder for them to score.
However, if in four attempts you do move the ball forward ten yards, you get another four attempts and so on. Whilst on offense, If the ball is caught by the defense, or dropped by the offense and recovered by the defense, the team on defense gains possession of the ball, and their offense comes onto the field and the other team’s defense comes onto the field.
High School games are usually four 12 minute quarters, totalling 48 minutes, and the team with The most points at the end of the game wins. If there is a tie at the end of regulation then an overtime ensues.
Hopefully everyone is super amped for the Friday night lights and hopefully this helped cleared some fog for those in the dark.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Just the Basics”

1. mariah pena on August 27th, 2016 9:07 pm

This is a great article! It definitely gave me a better understanding of football!

[Reply]

2. Ashley Ramynke on August 29th, 2016 12:30 pm

Wow! I learned so much about football.

[Reply]

*

• Just the Basics

“I Am Jane Doe”

• Just the Basics

Young Forever

• Just the Basics

Albert Pujols Joins the 600 Home Run Club

• Just the Basics

Make A Difference

• Just the Basics

Finding Your Groove

• Just the Basics

The Ugly Side of Baseball?

• Just the Basics

From the Cafeteria to Carnegie Hall

• Just the Basics

All You Need is a Door

• Just the Basics

I Got By With a Little Help From My Friends

• Just the Basics

P.A.L. Alliance: The First of Many

Just the Basics