• June 55 killed in Orlando workplace shooting

• June 57 killed, 48 injured in London Bridge attack

• May 26G7 leaders meet in Sicily, discuss anti-terrorism, global warming

• May 26Man hijacks Dept. of Corrections van with inmates inside

Oh Grow Up

The act of growing up is when you stop making excuses and start making changes.

Image Courtesy of the internet.

Image Courtesy of the internet.

Are you growing up? Or are you just getting older? Many people spend most of their childhood thinking about adulthood and what lies beyond that. Most of their day consisted in what their future would be like, so they missed actually growing up. That was me at the age of eight, the age where the illusion of growing up hit me the thought of being my own everything amused me simply because I still had so much to learn and I sure did.

Forgetting to grow up as child is probably one of the biggest mistakes one can possibly make because once you grow older the opportunities just keep getting smaller. Our imagination led us to image our future, well at least how we wanted it to turn out. It led us to jump ahead of everything. Now, everything is so close. We didn’t even realize the journey we’ve been through, we were just living.

In many cases in life many people don’t actually even know what it means to grow up. It’s as if we were growing older but remaining children. A countless amount of people didn’t actually mature as they got older including myself. I was faced with a wide variety of unfamiliar circumstances. When I realized that no one was going to do any of it  for me, I set myself on fire and figured it out. It took me 8 years to actually mature and get myself together, if I didn’t start now then when?

At the most basic level, adulthood is not reaching a certain age, ticking off boxes on a checklist, or even things that seem quintessentially adult like. Growing up is not the idea of getting older, it’s the act of getting older.